Monday, October 09, 2006

Castle Retreat 2006

retreat [ri-treet] noun
a place where devoted Christians go to take cold showers and sleep on camp mattresses, hoping to get closer to God

This was my first time going on the Calvary Chapel of Webster Castle Retreat, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. I guess I am still processing the spiritual side of it, so all I have to offer right now is a few pictures and observations. Enjoy!

The "castle" isn't so much of a castle as it is a giant stone farmhouse. Inside, very little of the original decorative details are left. Instead is a hodge-podge of country style decorations, donated furniture, and assorted found objects.


Some examples of found objects in my room: a picture of Jesus on a log...


...and a portrait of President Woodrow Wilson.


A bit of righteous vandalism.


The hillside location offered some spectacular views, like this one from the terrace.


And this one from the Prayer Tower.


A gorgeous sunset delayed our Thursday evening study.


Friday afternoon, I took a walk up the hill to the chapel.


On the way down, I found this little bit of wildlife.


Another view of the steps looking down to the... wait, is that an exotic car lurking in the bushes?


Only one company designs cars with such distinctive stying.


Would now be a good time to learn how to drive stick?

8 comments:

James Austin said...

By the way, I was very thankful for the warm showers.

Rachel said...

I thought you said they were cold. Do you mean the warm showers when you returned?

The view from the castle looks gorgeous!

Joe Fool said...

Parcour. Good place for parcour.

I always have a good... time when I go there.

Rachel said...

Parcour????

James Austin said...

No, at the castle. There were warm showers there, but I was told to expect cold showers.

Parkour????

Martha said...

If you get up early enough (or shower in the afternoon) you can have a warm shower. And.. it is not like a giant stone farmhouse!

I missed the castle retreat this year, so sad, but that's okay, I'm still remembering last years retreat.

Anonymous said...

Let's find the meaning of "parcour". The meaning is... Parking Around Rabbit Couches Outside U.S.'s Raisins. Wow, Joe is that fun!!!

Joe Fool said...

Free-running. I like the Russian team.

xqqyvy