Friday, November 24, 2006

Would you use a dollar coin?

Having learned something from the state quarter phenomenon, the U.S. Mint has decided to manufacture yet another version of the dollar coin. They are hoping these coins, which will feature each of the U.S. presidents, will do what Susan B. Anthony and Sacagawea couldn't, which is make Americans use dollar coins instead of paper money. Here's why I think this latest effort will be unsuccessful.
1. Metal is much more expensive than paper, even though it lasts longer.
2. Vending machines do not take them, except for stamp machines.
3. They don't slide nicely in and out of a wallet.
4. There is no tray for them in the cash register.
5. They are heavy.
6. They are noisy.
7. They are unfamiliar.
8. They are unnecessary.
9. They are Canadian.
10. We already use dollar coins, called "four quarters".

8 comments:

Bethany said...

I don't use mine... I collect them up.

Rachel said...

I prefer to use paper dollars vs. coin dollars, but I'm pretty inflexible. When I'm used to something being a certain way, I hate for it to change. I agree with you about the weight and ease of carrying them (the coins); not too convenient.

Joe Fool said...

I voted no, I wouldn't use the new dollar coins. Because, like Beth, I collect coins.

Besides, The government can't afford to make real money.

Anonymous said...

The country I grew up in transitioned from paper dollars to coin dollars about 8 years ago. It's like anything else, people get used to it and life goes on.

Not really a big deal.

James Austin said...

How much are dollars worth in Grenada?

Anonymous said...

1 US dollar is worth 2.6882 Eastern Caribbean (EC) dollars.

The EC is tied to the US dollar so the exchange value never changes.

Joe Fool said...

What do you mean by "they are canadian"?

ztbxqbes

James Austin said...

You can't have nine reasons on a list. I needed one more to round it out.