Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Pardon the David Bowie allusion. It's the best I could do so late.

Since becoming unemployed at the beginning of July, I have thought a lot about where I would like to go and what I want to do. I am 25, single, renting space from my grandparents, have few major commitments in the Rochester area, and have entertained the idea of leaving the state for quite some time. I think I'm pretty good at what I do, and I'm pretty sure that if I had the chance, I could make a decent living as a designer.

After some thought, I narrowed the alternatives down to a few: I could get a job at a local design firm where I would likely find myself in the same situation a few years down the road. I could look for a job in one of the major design hot-spots around the country (New York, Chicago, Seattle, Atlanta) where jobs are plentiful but I wouldn't know anyone. I could go to a city out-of-state where I know people (Nashville, Albuquerque, Minneapolis, Pensacola) but the economic climate might be better, the same, or worse. Or I could get a temporary job in Rochester working part-time, probably for a sign company or print shop, and go to school at RIT and learn the web programming stuff that designers are pretty much required to know (despite it having little to do with design and not being included in most college-level graphic design programs).

So that leads me to now. Two and a half months later I am planning to move halfway across the country to Minneapolis, where my best friend moved in 11th grade, and where there are more and better design jobs than here in Rochester, NY. I am working with a temp agency, with a tentative start date of October 1st, if they can place me by then. I have traded my sports car for a pickup truck that I can fill with all my stuff. My scheduled departure time is my 26th birthday, September 24th. I don't know what the future holds, but I firmly believe that I need this kind of a drastic change in my life in order to progress and to grow as a person. I really can't explain it any more than that. It will be hard to leave my family and friends, but that's why I have to do it. It's probably comparable to when a guy joins the military -- it's about leaving behind the familiar comforts of home and trekking out on his own, becoming the person you know is inside and... well I'm getting all philosophical. Anyways, I'm running out of money and the options are dwindling. This seems like the best thing to do. I'll have another update someday, maybe in a few weeks.

8 comments:

Martha said...

This will be hard for us too. Thus far I have been able to put it out of my mind, but now it keeps creeping back in. I want to say "Please don't go" but I know that you are not mine to keep. God only lent you to us for a short time and must find your own way in the world. We will be praying for you and waiting to see your truck coming back down the road someday soon.

Bethany said...

*sniff*

me too...

Rachel said...

I'm sad too. Even though I don't see you often now, I know you're not too far away and I can see you at our family get togethers. I understand about feeling the need for a change, the need for growth, and going where the jobs are. I'll be praying for you too. Hopefully you won't stay away too long.

Priscilla said...

It sounds like you have givin this a lot of thought. I know the Lord will be with you. Even if it turns out to be long term...we will all be alright. There are planes, trains and automobiles now..and telephones and internet. Of course we will miss you...but you know we are always here if and when you need us!

Anonymous said...

WOW! Jimmy, your really taking quite a big step...I know your family will miss you terribly...and by the way you know there is also family there too...Lisa lives that..Angels sister, Carmens and Sharons daughter..I know you have not seen her in quite some time..and she has two children now and is busy...but she Is family..so thats a thought...and thats quite exciting also trading CARS..thats incredible...and wow..your brave and I wish you the best of health..happiness..good fortune and so much more..I love you..do keep in touch with the blog and maybe even photos etc..love you big hugs gramanita

Rachel said...

Hi Gramanita,
Doesn't Lisa still live in Michigan? When I send her Christmas cards I always send them to Shelby Township, Michigan.

Tracy said...

Best wishes on your move. Minneapolis seems like a cool city. I've been a number of times since I imported my husband from nearby. I hope the transition goes smoothly. How far is the drive there anyway?

James Austin said...

It's about a 17-hour drive.