Monday, May 15, 2006

A Shorter Pensacola Beach























Photos of Pensacola Beach, taken on Thursday, May 11. Hurricane Ivan did a lot of damage to the Pensacola area, especially to the beach. Most of Santa Rosa Island is inaccessible by the main road, including Opal Beach. Something about the "Road Closed" sign is an appropriate symbol of the whole vacation experience. I had anticipated this trip for quite some time, but when it actually happened, it was different than I had planned. Fact is, I’m not a college student anymore, and neither are any of my “college buddies”. We are all getting older, moving away from that time and place. In thirty years, my most significant memories shared with college friends may not be of college at all. Maybe they’ll be of camping trips in the mountains, or days out on the lake, or family picnics in the backyard. The longer I live, the more I realize the future is a mystery I can’t predict with anything resembling accuracy, and the past is just that – the past, gone forever, but I still haven't learned how to truly appreciate the present.

9 comments:

Bethany said...

Yeah, now that I'm married, I can never be quite like the kid I used to be... sigh.

Martha said...

Hey, I didn't think Bethany had changed a bit...

Anonymous said...

I think that learning to appreciate the present is actually a practiced skill. We are always so caught up in what is happening, that we forget to savor the moment. Life progresses through seasons and we all need to learn to appreciate each one for it's own beauty, me included.

Priscilla said...

Audra asked me tonight if I would rather be the age I am now or age 21. (This was some sort of personality quiz or something out of American Girl Magazine) I told her the age I am now.

Each age has memories to savor...and age 21 has come and gone for me and that's ok!

Rachel said...

I wouldn't want to be 21 again either, but I'd like to be 37 and still look 21. I am very happy with where God has brought me, and it's really neat to see my kids growing up. (a bit sad too, I think I need another one)

Martha said...

Well, I wouldn't mind being 21 again at all! I think it might be even more fun the second time around.

Anonymous said...

Being married never stopped me from being a kid...

hgmykofj!

James Austin said...

Being a kid kept me from getting married!

skvgttue!

Anonymous said...

Being a kid never stopped me from getting married either! :)