Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Microsoft Fined By EU

According to BBC News, Microsoft has been fined 280.5m euros ($357m; £194m) by the European Commission for failing to comply with an anti-competition ruling. You read that right: anti-competition. For those of you not familiar with economic theory, Merriam-Webster defines competition in business as "the effort of two or more parties acting independently to secure the business of a third party by offering the most favorable terms." (source: Wikipedia) Competition is that device which keeps prices low and quality high, and is generally percieved as a good thing for consumers. However, the EU apparently doesn't think so, so they have fined (rather randomly, if you ask me) Microsoft for failing to comply with an order to reveal trade secrets about their operating system, Windows XP. I know Microsoft hasn't always been the nicest corporation in the world, but I think this ruling by the European Commission is ureasonable and stupid, and will lead to higher prices and lower quality for EU consumers.

Article

3 comments:

Joe Fool said...

I don't think that those guys at the European Union read their history books, or their economics books.

Joe Fool said...

Okay, our internet just got really weird. Everything is HUGE!! I can't figure out what happened. This is STUPID!

Anonymous said...

My internet is regular... Anyway, seems to me that the EU is trying to hurt everyone. Why else would they rule that? They like to squish the little guy and they're using the big guy to do it. Hmph. That's my little guy opinion...