Monday, June 16, 2008

MNDOT strikes again!

What in the world is wrong with the Minnesota Department of Transportation? I have driven thousands of miles of Interstate and I have NEVER seen ANY interstate highway completely shut down for resurfacing. What normally happens is they close one lane, resurface it, open it back up, close the other lane, resurface that one, then open it up again. Thanks to them, I didn't get to church Sunday morning. I wasn't late -- I couldn't even get out of the city!

Let's see how many ways MNDOT has angered me since I moved here.
  1. Wavy roads. (I-90 westbound when you first enter the state.)
  2. Snow accumulation that doesn't get plowed for hours, if at all.
  3. Potholes big enough swallow up small cars. This could be one reason why Minnesota has more trucks than cars or vans.
  4. Bridges that randomly fall in the river. (Well, one so far.)
  5. Unmarked highway entrances.
  6. Randomly closed highway entrances.
  7. Poorly planned roads that spawn HUGE traffic jams, turning a 15-minute commute into an hour-long ordeal.
  8. Northbound highway entrances with no corresponding southbound entrance.
  9. Westbound highway entrances with no corresponding eastbound entrance.
  10. Abnormally narrow lanes.
All in all, it's the worst state I've ever driven in. It's almost as bad as driving in Canada.

8 comments:

Joe Fool said...

Surely it can't be as bad as driving in Canada.

I always thought webster was a pain because of the fact that they seem to think that they have to repave all the roads anually.

Maybe you should run for the guy who is in charge of the transit system.

James Austin said...

Or maybe I should run OVER the guy who is in charge of the transit system!

Ha ha! Just kidding....

Joe Fool said...

Haha! That might work too.

psallmen said...

Jim,

I'm glad you have this blog to let off steam. It wouldn't be healthy to hold it all in.

Rachel said...

Sounds fun! I think it's time for you to come back to this wonderful state!

Martha said...

You need a mother very badly!

Martha said...

How about a picture of Zoe?

Bethany said...

The dog's name is Zoe?

And driving in Canada wasn't THAT bad. Although the whole "no left turn" thing was annoying.

I agree with Paul. Good thing you can let that out here! Wouldn't want to be running anyone over in the near future.