Thursday, February 07, 2008

Divide & Conquer?

It occurred to me today that this year's Republican candidates each appeal to a completely different and equally important segment of the Republican party. To those in the military, the obvious choice is McCain, a Vietnam war hero. To the religious right, the obvious choice is Huckabee, a former Baptist minister who wears his Christianity on his sleeve. To conservatives, the only choice is Mitt Romney, whose economic policies are the least likely to lead this country deeper into debt and economic recession. It's got me wondering who the good guy is, or if this division is somehow intentional.

It is comforting to know however, that the Democratic party is also divided on their choice of candidates.

And one thing is certain, more people are paying attention to this race than any other presidential race in recent history. Primaries and caucuses had record attendances on Tuesday. And my best friend just became a Republican delegate.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Yes, I too have found myself quite caught up and interested in the primary race. I was torn between two candidates and now I am on the edge of my seat to see who wins the overall republican denomination.

PS I'm not sure how to answer your other question. But seeing as you yourself didn't know how to answer it, maybe that points to one of your weaknesses?

Martha said...

Now who will you endorse? I was kind of surprised to see Romney drop out of the race already.

James Austin said...

I'm pretty sure Romney found a horse head in his bed. I am now endorsing Obama, mainly because I just want to see what would happen.

Martha said...

Don't you dare!